Sock Club: February

DSC_0056

It’s time for our sock club members to open up their February packages! What do we have inside?

DSC_0043

DSC_6224

Hay Bale! Hay is incredibly important to the winter maintenance of our animals. There’s no grass for them to graze on, so in addition to grain, all winter long they get fresh hay to munch on. This means regular hay deliveries. One of the great things about living in Virginia is that the price of hay is much cheaper than when we were on Martha’s Vineyard. Still, we go through 1,400 to 2,000 pounds of hay a week, and it adds up quickly.

HayBale3

HayBale1

We have the hay delivered to the front of the farm, but once it arrives, it still needs to be moved back to the pasture for storage and then into the pen as needed (2-3 times a week).

DSC_1389

Amy is in charge of moving the hay. It is a very delicate operation, particularly in the mud, but I can’t imagine it’s as difficult as maneuvering a bus, which Amy has a license for.

HayBale2

Inspired by the multifaceted yellow found in a round bale of hay, I got to work mixing up some colors. In addition to pure yellow, I also mixed up a brown and a yellow-brown solution of concentrated dye.

DSC_6178

Then measured it into the dye pot by the milliliter.

DSC_6179

Next came the pre-soaked yarn…

[gickr.com]_1abc8864-5751-e064-2183-690bea663460

I allowed the base color to absorb…

DSC_6195

And then added additional brown to get that hint of brown found throughout the bales.DSC_6201

In the end, I was really pleased with the tempered colorway that I came up with.

DSC_0107

What would some good patterns be for this lightly variegated yarn? I’ve found a few patterns that I think would pair well with this yarn:

February Socks

Top Row: A Roll in the Hay socks by Gina House / Ear of Wheat scarf by Natalia Sha / Winter Wheat socks by Valerie Wagoner
Middle Row: Gingko Shoulder Shawlette by Maggie Magali / Winesap socks by Darlene Hayes / Wintered Wheat Mitts by Melissa Schaschwary
Bottom Row: Winnow socks by Janice Kang / Katy mitts by Darlene Hayes / Yellow Dwarf Shawl by verybusymonkey

Do you have any other patterns that come to mind? Share them below! If you have ideas for March, email me (lauria at fiberfarm dot com) and I’ll share them in March’s post!

DSC_0116

A special thanks to Cris, who took the photos of me dyeing yarn.

If you want to be notified for when memberships open up next quarter, sign up to receive an email.

13 Comments

1. pellesmom1@aol.com

February 4, 2014 at 7:43 am

How do you become a member of sock club?

• Lauria

February 4, 2014 at 11:18 am

Full-year memberships are currently closed, but if you sign up to be notified of any openings, I’ll email you in March or June if slots become available. You can find more information about the club here.

2. Can you please tell me exactly what this yarn is called? Especially the yellow color – I want to make one of the projects you’ve suggested. Can we buy it separately in the future (without belonging to the sock club – I’m not that skilled yet!).

Thx

• Lauria

February 4, 2014 at 11:17 am

Hi Linda, the colorway is called Hay Bale and it’s in our classic sock yarn base. We might allow separate purchases in the future, but it will be at least a year away in order to give our members an exclusive.

Glad that you like it!

3. Ah, so far seeing the Jan & Feb pics, I’m regretting not getting in on this deal. Such pretty colors! One day I will be able to join. Meanwhile, I’ll keep admiring the pics. Looking forward to seeing some pics of what the sock-club members knit up!

4. 1. These photos are SUPER gorgeous.
    2. I love the gif!!
    3. This colourway is RIGHT up my alley – it’s the perfect, perfect, warm happy yellow, rich and deep and interesting!!!
    4. You are on helluva dyer, lady.
    5. Sock club jealousness :)

5. Barbara Wonsowicz

February 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Beautiful colors. I sure do hope a membership slot opens up next quarter!

6. gorgeous and more gorgeous! I would love to join the sock club if possible!

7. Gina Marie Lunsford

February 4, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Thank you so much for seeking patterns for this yarn-what a nice touch. I live in the country, so I was very excited to see the yarn and I immediately appreciated the browns scattered through. You captured it so very well! I can’t wait to learn how to knit socks!

8. Best Club I ever joined. Gorgeousness!

9. I’ve got that little yarn bundle of sunshine sitting on my coffee table. Suggestions…”Summerflies” which I believe is still a free pattern on Ravelry. IF I had not already knit one in a yellow hand dyed yarn a couple of years ago, that’s what I would knit it up to be. So what will I knit it into…still thinking. I’m almost done with Polar Vortex as lacy socks! lol

10. Susan (sjanova)

February 6, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I think I need that opened now so I can pre-quel the sunshine I expect for our upcoming cruise(s) — a back-to-back to the eastern Caribbean. I’ve been resisting February but we’ll be leaving a week from today, so I want to admire it for a week! Beside January. So happy you’re doing this!!! (!*35, just because I like 35 as a number, for some reason)

11. Cathi Graves Tudman

February 27, 2014 at 2:46 am

When will the first shipment of this lovely yarn arrive? I know that you all have been having really dramatic weather on the East Coast recently. It has just finally decided to rain again here in the Central Valley of California, so I don’t want the package to get dampish before I can get home!
    Thanks for the terrific pictures. Can’t wait to see/touch the real thing!!!

Comments are closed.