Propagating Lavender

by Susan on February 5, 2013

Last Spring I posted here about how easy it to propagate rosemary from cuttings. Today we’re going to use the same techniques with lavender.

My mom always has a few vases of lavender going on her bathroom window sill.

Sometimes they even bloom!

┬áIt’s just as easy to propagate lavender from cuttings, although lavender needs more time to develop a root structure due to it’s less rigid stems. It’s important to change the water whenever it becomes dark, about once a week, to prevent your roots from rotting. I would also advise you to strip away any leaves that fall below the water surface; this keep your water fresher longer.

Once you have developed a strong root system, transplant the lavender to a pot filled with potting soil or (when it warms up!) directly into your garden.

If you want more information on growing lavender, I found this book really helpful:

The Lavender Lover’s Handbook: The 100 Most Beautiful and Fragrant Varieties for Growing, Crafting, and Cooking.

1 Carol S GIBBS February 5, 2013 at 6:46 am

love it!

2 Jennifer February 5, 2013 at 7:40 am

I tried this with lavender last summer and it didn’t work for me — a few weeks in, all the cuttings just died. I was so sad! Any idea what I did wrong? I used rooting hormone, fresh cuttings, in jars of water …

3 Carol S GIBBS February 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

Jennifer,
I don’t use rooting hormone, just because the first time I did this, I did not have any on hand. I think more important is that you have a sunny window. I have lost a few but most of the time it is a success. My advise is check you light and try again. This is the first time mine have put out a bloom after I cut them, so I am excited about these. I will plant them in the garden in the spring.
Let me know how yours do.

4 Carla February 5, 2013 at 8:19 am

I wish I could do this. Love lavender, but I’m allergic to it!

5 Tyche's Minder February 5, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hedgerows of lavender and rosemary — two of the things I miss the most about living in California. Maybe I’ll give the windowsill a try.

6 JellenP February 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

Maybe a stupid question – will the lavender “throw scent” even if it doesn’t bloom?

7 Fran February 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

Okay, which Gibbs is working her magic? I love this idea!! You will find some in my garden this year and cuttings in my house after that! And that book probably on my book shelf, too. Thanks Ladies, whoever’s green thumb is at work!

8 Amy P February 5, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I went to our local nursery the other day and they had jars and jars of all sorts of clippings just beginning to root… Nature is amazing!

9 Erin L February 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Jen, in my experience, the leaves are every bit as fragrant as the flowers. At least, that’s true with the stuff in my flower bed.

10 Jellenp February 5, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Thanks, Erin L!

11 Benita February 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I didn’t know you could do that with lavender. Guess what I’m doing this spring?

12 Lynda M O February 7, 2013 at 1:23 am

Me neither, I never knew that. Lavender grows in a dozen neighbors’ yards so I will get clippings from them and root some of my own. Thanks very much for this info.

{ 1 trackback }