Very Big News!

So for months now I have been alluding to a big secret I’ve been keeping. I am thrilled that today I can finally share the news with all of you.

Juniper Moon Farm is starting a magazine called By Hand. By Hand will be a lifestyle magazine for people who make, with departments for cooking, crafting, DIY, gardening, and do-gooding, with a bit of travel and profiles of makers every month.

The idea is to celebrate creating things with our hands, and to explore the motivation to make things in a world where there are cheaper and immediate alternatives. It will be both practical (patterns, DIY projects, etc) and thoughtful, with a lovely and gentle aesthetic.

We have lots of amazing contributors and editors on board already, and the first issue is well underway. But before we go any further, we need your help!

We are holding a Kickstarter campaign to raise the rest of the money we need to make the magazine everything we want it to be. And as an added inducement, we have commissioned so amazing rewards! Our art director Michelle Lukezic has designed posters and t-shirts that are going to be incredibly popular with people who make things with their hands. Here’s a sample:

There are posters and t-shirts for each of the sections in the magazine!

If you like what you see and want to support us, great! If you can help us get the word out about the Kickstarter  and the magazine we will be forever in your debt!

43 Comments

1. Congratulations! Looks like fun!

2. YAY!! I love love love this idea and I will do what I can to get the word out. Susie, you are amazing!

3. YAY! looks like a good read!

4. Very exciting news!

5. H. Breuninger

March 2, 2012 at 8:30 am

Very exciting! HAB

6. Ann Korzeniewski

March 2, 2012 at 8:44 am

I just joined the revolution!

7. Very exciting. I can’t wait to subscribe!

8. Done and done. So excited to see what is produced!

9. Lyn (coppertoptoo)

March 2, 2012 at 8:55 am

Yay! So exciting!! Sign me up! Off to spread the word.

10. So exciting! Will also share! Check out GOODs 31 day art challenge and tweet your news in conjunction with their social cultural art everyday awareness

11. SUCH a great idea. Congratulations! Where can I sign up for a subscription? (grin)

12. Looooove it! Off to kickstarter!!!

13. This looks like a great mag! Do you know how much a yearly subscription will cost?

• Susan

March 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

Kim, we don’t know yet, because it will depend on how many copies we are able to print at once, but it looks like we’re generating more interest than I had expected to!

14. Wow… I, too, am off to kickstarters…

15. 100% supporter, WILL suscribe for sure. Gonna get to Kickstart asap!

16. Thanks, Susan. Heading to Kickstarter now!

17. I… LOVE… this!!! Y’all are so creative over there… all the best for a successful launch!

18. is there another way to donate? I just read the mother jones article recently put up on the blog and signing in to kickstarter using my amazon account would break my new resolution to stop using amazon so much.

• Susan

March 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks so much for asking, Alyson! You can send a check and let us know which reward you want and we’ll add you to the list. The address is:
      Juniper Moon Farm
      1036 Venable Road
      Palmyra VA 22963
      Just be sure to include your email address so we can get back to you with updates, shirts sizes, etc.

19. Will it be available internationally?? If so, count me in!!! X

20. Whoot this sounds so perfect for me! How can I help?

21. Fabulous news. Will tweet! Best news this morning and good luck!
    Ludmilla

22. LOVE it!

23. Your energy and enthusiasm are infectious! I read your blog every day! Good luck on your new adventure, visiting you is on my retirement list! Can’t wait to see the magazine!

24. AWE-sommmmeee! I love it. You are a powerhouse of creativity.

25. In the time it took me to read the Kickstarter campaign copy, the amount pledged went up $500. I’m guessing you guys are going to be doing that *all day*.

26. Oh wow, this is so exciting!!! I cannot wait to see what the magazine is like, I’m sure it will be brilliant (of course!). I absolutely LOVE the poster design, too–I think it might have to hold court on my office wall!

27. *slow clap* Way to go, Susie! What a great first day on Kickstarter :D

28. Wait…you’re going to hand carry it to Ireland? Woot!

29. Oh Susan…. I am sooooo going to hold you to that one!!! I’m in!! And am unofficially your cheerleader for everyone I know over here x

30. I’m so THRILLED for you! you KNOW that if a kickstarter project gets over 30%, that they’ll get 100%, yeah? There’s no inbetween, so CONGRATULATIONS! I’m so happy that like me, you get to realise your dream. Here’s mine: http://wool.pozible.com – receiving the yarn next week!

31. Wonderful- will do my best to spread the word of your Kickstarter campaign. And you know I’d be proud to be a contributor (maybe you’d like something from me with my Craft Activism co-author, Joan Tapper?)

• Susan

March 3, 2012 at 12:37 am

Gale, I would LOVE to have you do something for By Hand! You know I’m a crazy fan girl for you and Joan.

32. Christina Del Villar

March 3, 2012 at 2:10 am

This is so exciting! I can’t wait to see the first issue (especially the ad for Good Squared Confections : )

33. This is wonderful news!
    I’ve featured you on my blog today, hope to send more people your way!

34. This is great! I’m so excited, looking forward to the first issue. I’ll have a little blurb and link to your Kickstarter page up on my blog this coming week!

35. The Revolution will be Hand Crocheted too! One of few hand crafts that cannot be replicated by a machine (but I’m sure they’re trying to find a way).

• Susan

March 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Karen, you must be listening in on my emails! The crochet version is coming Monday.

36. Hey, Susan
    I had an idea when I was reading through the prizes for donations. If someone is getting married or planning a very special birthday OR just a great party, the $3,000 might be a good deal. You could get a beautiful one-of a kind location (that would not require a lot of decorations) and food prepare by two unbelievable cooks AND launch a wonderful project.

Comments are closed.