Findley Dappled

by Susan on January 26, 2012

Let me start by saying that Findley Dappled is a line extension of our wildly popular Findley lace yarn. When KFI approached me about doing a variegated version, I needed a lot of convincing. I’m not much of a variegated yarn gal, but these yarns surprised and awed me- the colorways are subtle, sophisticated and seem to be incapable of pooling.

I also need to tell you that writing about the Findley Dappled designer is hard for me, for reasons both selfish and not. Selfishly, I hate to share the genius in my employ with the world for fear that she will someday leave Juniper Moon Farm. The unselfish part is my reluctance to open the designer- who is so open-hearted and unjaded- up to the criticisms that go along with a sharing your best efforts with the world.

The conflict comes in because I am also dying to shout about this collection and this designer from the rooftops because she is brilliant and creative and going to have a very big career in front of her.

Of course, my excitement wins out and I am over the moon to announce that our Findley Dappled designer is none other than our very own Caroline Fryar!

Caroline’s collection is drop-dead gorgeous and full of the same joie de vivre as she is! But you can see for yourself right now:

Brindled Wrap- knit by the designer, modeled by Charlotte Fryar

Theme and Variation- knit by Krysta Harty, modeled by Emily

Plotted and Pieced- knit by Carol Lindquist, modeled by Emily

Rainy Sunday pajamas- knit by Laila Jonsson, modeled by Emily

The Fryar Girls, each brilliant, creative and well-mannered. James and Kathleen must be the best parent in the world.

Laureate Cardigan- knit by Sue Isenhart, modeled by Elizabeth Fryar

Stippled Ink- knit by Sarah Lebel Van Vugt, modeled by Charlotte Fryar

Finches Wings- knit by Jenn Cox, modeled (somewhat reluctantly) by the designer

Couple Color Henley- knit by Sara Byron, modeled by Charlotte Fryar

All the Stops- knit by Deb Terrio, modeled by Elizabeth Fryar

Needless to say, Caroline’s designs were a HUGE hit at TNNA. I’m telling you, someday all of us will be working for Caroline!

Once again, I have to thank everyone involved in this project- knitters, models, stylists, and of course Joel for his amazing photography! And once again, Lauria has posted all the patterns on Ravelry  for your convenience.

And now I will get out of the way of the mountains of praise you are fixing to heap upon Caroline.

1 Diane January 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm

More fabulous patterns and photos! And happy to see Jack!

2 Erin L January 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Gorgeous and amazing designs. I think these will cure me of my fear of lace!

3 Fran January 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Who knew? Caroline, you did a fabulous job, but please don’t leave us!!!

4 Kristen January 26, 2012 at 5:16 pm

So many beautiful designs!!! Love all the lace! And you’re right, that yarn is absolutely stunning! WTG! :D

5 Karen January 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Caroline – you are A-MA-ZING! How do you even find the time to create/knit AND work the farm?

6 Deb Clemens January 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Yowza. That girl has some major talent. and some very pretty sisters! congratulations.

7 Amber (HowdyPandowdy) January 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Just amazing, all around. Everybody did an amazing job and Caroline is an absolute genius (but we already knew that I guess.) : )

8 Beth Schmidt January 26, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Caroline, where do you find the time??? These designs are fantabulous! congratulations! I am so looking forward to seeing the new yarns!

9 grace January 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Caroline…absolutely stunning!

10 Krysta January 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I had such a great time knitting for Caroline’s design, and the yarn is fabulous. I can’t wait to get my hands on this book. I want to knit everything here. Especially Plotted and Pieced, and Finches Wings, and Couple Color henley and….. Ok I’ll stop, but I love them!!

11 Ann from KFI January 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love them all!

12 debbie January 26, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I love all of these! What is the best way to get notified as to when the pattern book will be available? I’ll make a note to myself to check back but should I rss the blog or do you have email updates?

thanks!

13 Shirra January 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Gorgeous! I k ow I’ve said thy for each yarn and each collection, but it’s true! And what a fantastic surprise to see sweet Jack Jack.

14 maltese parakeet January 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm

just amazing, caroline. i want to knit them all!

15 Melissa (SheCrochets) January 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Caroline, I am now certain there’s nothing you can’t do. The garments are amazing and beautiful and there’s nothing else I can say. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Thank you for sharing your talent with the world!

16 Diane Shepherd-In-Waiting, San Clemente January 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Now THAT is some seriously FABulous designing, creating, plotting, knitting, photo-shooting, and animal husbandry.

Bravo! And every good wish in this unusually prosperous Year of the Water Dragon! (my very own sign, too)

17 Beverly January 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Wow again! Such beautiful garments…Caroline, you are extremely talented and I’m super impressed. I LOVE Finched Wings…that looks like a lovely summery top to layer over a tank or tee. All the designs are beautiful. Congrats to Caroline and JMF for what looks like a terrific new yarn.

18 Amanda January 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

These are beautiful and thoughtful designs! I’m particularly impressed by the details in “All the Stops.” And do I remember that Caroline is a classics major, too? Wow– what a package!

19 Tracy Wells January 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Beautiful work, Caroline! You are definitely a Renaissance woman!

20 Shelley Noble January 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

The most beautiful knits I’ve ever seen. So appealing and wearable!

21 Debbie January 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

O.M.G. I don’t know how she had the time to design such beautiful garments (in such beautiful yarn!)! And to think I’ll be able to say to my grandchildren, “yeah, one day Caroline gave me a tour of the farm and showed me where the bathroom was.”! Now that casual tour of the farm seems even more special! Seriously, these pieces are gorgeous! Caroline, you ROCK!

22 Rebecca January 26, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Good lord! I’m with everyone else-where does she find the time?? I’m amazed and awed. I wish I could get beyond scarves and hats. Beautiful stuff!

23 Jane from Maryland January 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Holy cannoli! I am impressed and aesthetically satisfied by this beautiful collection. (See, I just used an Italian dessert and a Greek derived word in my comment. At least I understand Classics a little bit.) Caroline, I’m so glad you found us, a community that appreciates all that you do.

24 Mary January 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Wow. Just. Wow. Lovely, lovely,lovely.

25 JellenP January 27, 2012 at 12:19 am

Stutter sputter … *speechless*

26 Kelly January 27, 2012 at 5:53 am

That dress is especially amazing!

27 Lisa January 27, 2012 at 6:48 am

Lovely yarn and simply stunning designs, yowza!

28 Benita January 27, 2012 at 7:11 am

I love the heathery, subtleness of this yarn. You’ve convinced me that I need to ask my LYS to carry your yarn. Tell Carolyn “Brava!”

29 laurie January 27, 2012 at 7:24 am

Seriously- I want to make every single one of these. I’ve been anxiously waiting to see more about the lacy shirt with the nupps, since I’ve seen it in the blog with pics from TNNA. Beautiful work, Caroline!!!!! Thank you!

30 Erin January 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

I’m so glad everyone else has now seen these utterly amazing designs. Aren’t they incredible?

31 Pam January 27, 2012 at 8:10 am

Brilliant! Such youthful designs from an art centuries old. I think I have to get my mom to knit a few pieces for me?!

32 BethD January 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

How is it that one lovely young woman can have SO much talent? Everything is stunning, including the yarn. Love the photos, too.

33 Mujercita January 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

I am in love with some of these patterns- specifically Plotted and Pieced (although I’m a little wary of knitting those nupps), Laureate, and All the Stops. They must’ve taken ages to knit in lace-weight, though!
I honestly think that this is one of the best collections that I have seen in a long time (and I’m not just saying that because I am a blog fan!) Normally, I see a collection and there is MAYBE one pattern that I want to knit from it- here, there are 3 I am dying to cast on immediately, and several more that I want to knit when I’m done with those!

34 SashaDee January 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

Wow wow wow wow. What an amazing collection! Caroline is incredibly talented and I loved the Laureate Cardigan and then was absolutely blown away by the dress! The yarn is also delightful and how delicate yet vibrant it turned out.

35 carol zeni January 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

This group of work is stirring something in me that makes me think I need to learn to knit seriously. To start with a fiber that is beautiful all by itself and then create a garment that is even more beautiful is true art to me. I can imagine how soft and comfortable these pieces are.

36 Maureen January 27, 2012 at 11:00 am

Awesome designs and, I think, my favorite set of pictures!

37 Beth January 27, 2012 at 11:47 am

Brilliant! Just brilliant (designer, knitters, models, photographer, yarn). WOW.

38 Maureen J (mljan) January 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It’s a wonderful collection, with several suitable for my age group (hint: not pre-school), that I’m putting on my list. Truly, I love all the sweaters, and in Findley, they’re all wearable in the warmer parts of the country.

But, I have never, ever, seen a knit dress that I liked. Never until now. All the Stops is great, and an appropriate name. The transitions between flat and pleated for the skirt are so smooth; the fitted top and lovely waist with the Icord belt, all of it is perfect. This has got to be a fabulously popular pattern, and all of the others, too.

Congratulations, Carolyn. It sure beats toiling away in some dingy library carrel. Just my opinion.

39 babs707 January 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Knit jammies!?! What a fabulous idea!

40 Jess January 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm

The entire collection is so beautiful and so wearable! Caroline is one talented lady. I love the tops, but the pajamas in Findley?!?! Perfect for the summertime. :)

41 Roni January 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Love all the garments! Emily is a great model for the knit jammies, but a French Press coffee maker somehow doesn’t seem to go with her… personality.

42 Carla January 27, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Wow Caroline, I’m impressed! I don’t think anyone would ever guess that this is your first collection! I’ve definitely added a couple to my “to do” list!

43 Lisa January 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm

This is a very beautiful collection, and I would love to knit many of these sweaters. Unfotunately, I have no idea whether they can be made to fit my body. It’s a little disappointing to see every single sample pictured on a young girl with no bust. I don’t know how these garments would look on a woman’s figure. This is especially crucial with lace motifs, since it’s more difficult to sneak in increases at the bust. Would making a larger size work, or would it, as so often happens, simply be fitted in the bust but oversized and unflattering everywhere else–impossible to tell from these samples.

44 Susan January 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Lisa, unfortunately, when designing with a brand new yarn, we are very limited in the amount of yarn we get to work with to make the initial test and sample garments. The mill only produces a small amount- in other words, more of the yarn dos not yet exist. That’s why the sample garments in all designs for new yarns tend to be only knit in the smallest sizes.

When more yarn arrives from the mill, we generally have a few samples made in larger sizes for the trunk shows that go out to stores and ravelry will surely start to fill up with patterns in various sizes when the yarn reaches the shops.

Which is not to say that we wouldn’t like to be able to knit the garments in multiple sizes. We would, but the realities of the supply chain prevent us from doing so on the timetable you (and we) would prefer.

45 Goofus January 31, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Gorgeous!!!

46 Dina February 10, 2012 at 9:34 am

It is disappointing you are not able to premiere with more sizes but totally understandable. I wish KFI and the mill would see the light and offer more yarn at the test knitting stage!

What a beautiful collection – I want to knit them all.

Carolyn is clearly a genius – and should run for President when she’s old enough. She’d get congress in shape in no time, don’t you think? Besides, she’d charm them all into agreeing with her.

47 Lyn (coppertoptoo) February 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I just can’t say it enough! Way to go Caroline! Oh, and the dappled is pretty much the bees knees too!

{ 2 trackbacks }