Christmasland

by Susan on December 26, 2011

No one loves Christmas more than my Mama! She spends ages decorating her house and it really is spectacular. Every year I feel terrible that neither Carrie not I have provided Mama with grandchildren, because it truly is magical.

Mama has been collecting Christmas decorations for nearly 40 years and she creates little scenes in every nook and cranny of the house. Here are a few of my favorites.

Believe it or not, this is just the tip of the iceberg. All this Christmas-ing used to embarrass me something fierce but now I love it so. Nothing gets you in the Christmas spirit like having one of Santa’s elves for a mother.

1 Leslie from California December 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm

so cute… I feel so crappy cause I didn’t put up a tree this year…. had hand surgery and was unable to… it makes for a very boring Christmas morning. Love your mom’s decorations, reminds me of some my parents had when we were children. My mom was so creative, she was way ahead of the artificial tree movement, she had a Manzanita branch and had it painted gold and hung all of her hand made ornaments on it and had one of those elves like your mom’s that would sit at the bottom of the tree, like he was guarding all the goodies….. Our stockings were full of fruit and nuts and a some candy… like oranges and tangerines, then there were the walnuts and almonds, all still in the shells… the memories really take me back to a simpler time… all our gifts were things our parents made, my mom either sewed or knit them and my dad would build things for the boys… it was really magical.

Merry Christmas Susan and to your entire family too. Here is to a fantastic 2012 for you and your flock!

2 Diane December 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm

i know how you feel Leslie. we are in the process of getting a new roof and everything is in the attic under tarps so we don’t have a tree or decorations either. my husband started calling it the un-christmas yesterday because we didn’t even make it to my mom’s for christmas dinner – we started out early but the new puppy got really sick, so we turned around and secured him in the barn. then, when we were finally on the turnpike, the car shut down twice and we were afraid to push our luck any further.

susan, thank you for sharing the photos! i hope you have a wonderful holiday!!!

3 Amy December 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I.LOVE.YOUR.MOTHER.

4 Carol S GIBBS December 26, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Amy,
you are your beautiful family can come next year! It will be fun to have the girls!

5 Dragan December 26, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Oooh, the silver ribbons with suns and moons is my favorite part. So wintery and simple, yet sparkly!

6 A Crafty Lawyer December 26, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love the tree full of elves –I remember those fondly from my childhood. I even bought myself one on eBay a few years ago, when I decided to buy an aluminum tree just like the one my grandparents had.

7 maltese parakeet December 26, 2011 at 11:56 pm

that is an impressive anna lee collection!

8 Austin Val December 27, 2011 at 9:56 am

Is that a Lisa Cain painting I see in the background? I love her work–I have four of her paintings. And I love your Virginia/Texas links, which are the opposite of mine. I live in Texas, but graduated from Mary Baldwinn.

9 Jay Fryar December 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

The Sorcerer with the Frog holding “Charms and Incantations” made me smile out loud.

Thank you for all you’ve taught Caroline and meant to Caroline this year.

Jay and Kathleen

10 Linda Trainum December 27, 2011 at 10:13 am

Beautiful photos! Brings back a lot of memories when I see some of her decorations. Thanks for sharing. I love the last one!

11 Amy December 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm

OMG!!! I love Christmasland and although I work 6 days work weeks in retail and don’t always finish my decorations before the 25th…I keep putting up decorations up until the first of the year! It keeps the Christmas spirit going .
My hubby flipped over the elf tree. We have a few too and now he’ll be on ebay for the next 11 months trying to get some more!
Thanks for sharing!

12 Roni December 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

My mother had several of the elves also. I inherited one and purchased another in an antique shop when my children were very young. They were our “Elf on the Shelf” long before the book was out. They arrived with St. Nicholas on Dec. 6th and watched the children until Christmas Eve when Santa came, and reported to him if the children were naughty or nice. Santa would then take “Stanley and Stella” back with him. We also spray painted some medium rocks with gloss black to make “coal”. Each child got one piece, just to keep them on their toes!