Preakness in Pictures

by Susan on May 21, 2011

Joel and I were supposed to spend today at Pimlico, but because we’re us, we changed our minds about going half a dozen times and only ended up deciding to go half an hour before the big race. We made it in time to place our bets and watch the Preakness run. Joel brought his camera and took some amazing photos.

The finish line

Shackleford, the winning horse. His jockey was the happiest looking man I’ve ever seen.

Shackleford looked pretty happy too.

As soon as the race is over, the horse and jockey on the weather vane are repainted to match the winning horse and the jockey’s silks. I love traditions like that.

There were many, many ladies in hats at the race. Not all of them had pink hair.

We stayed for the final race. It was a turf race, meaning it was run on grass.

Joel bet on this horse and won!

After the races we stopped by a party for the owners and I had the best crab cake I’ve ever eaten in my whole life. I also got to pet some of the horses, which was the best part of the whole day.

1 Suzy May 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Wow! I don’t know how you feel about it all now…but, I’m sure glad you all decided to go!! So many cool photos of the race.

2 woolies May 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Great pics. My horses much prefer hanging around eating hay. What, ME? Exercise? Run a RACE? Pass the alfalfa, please. :)

3 Jen aka Jellenp May 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Super, super Joel-work.

4 Susan aka reddirt May 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Wow!! You’re really traveling in high circles! Thank you for taking me along for the ride and thank Joel for the wonderful pics. I watched the race and although ‘my horse’ didn’t win, it tickled me that the horse that won had somewhat confounded the ‘experts’ that were talking. That jockey was precious and I loved it that he dedicated it to his mama and daddy (who passed in Nov).

5 Sharon Leadbitter May 22, 2011 at 5:18 am

Love the little braid on Shackleford’s head!! The man playing the herald trumpet looks like he might be ready to pass out ;-)

6 Cynthia May 22, 2011 at 11:49 am

Wow! So many great pics. I love them. I also like the tradition of painting the weather vane immediately after the race. So cool.

7 May May 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Visually stunning!

8 Judy aka lamazeteacher May 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Horse racing is something that I’ve never seen (except when I used it for an excuse to get out of paying a speeding ticket in Chicago: told the policeman that I just HAD to get home in time to see the Kentucky Derby because my cousin was a part owner of an entrant!!) The pictures made me feel that I was right there, and it was such a beautiful day with all the colors. Thanks, Joel, for another prize winner in my file. Wouldn’t it have been funny if some lady wore a hat like the one Princess Beatrice wore for the royal wedding? She would’ve gotten some attention.

Keep enjoying your vacation!