Apprentice Wanted

by Susan on August 18, 2010

Erin, our first farm apprentice

Juniper Moon Farm is fixing to go through a growth spurt and it seems like the right time to take on a new apprentice. We’re looking for a someone willing to commit to at least a six-month stay, although a year would be better.

What you’ll get: In addition to room and board, plus a small stipend, you will gain experience and proficiency in all aspects of the yarn business. You’ll learn to give vaccinations, pull out a stuck lamb, fix a broken fence and trim hooves. You’ll watch lambs and kids come into the world and take their first shaky steps, something that still leaves me speechless after seeing it a hundred times. You’ll get to know the personalities on the farm and will be able to tell when something is wrong, just by looking.

If you want to learn to shear, we’ll send you to shearing school. And after the sheep are shorn, you’ll learn to wash fleeces and dye the yarn.

You’ll leave JMF with confidence in your abilities to run a farm- your own or someone else’s- and with the knowledge of exactly what you are capable of.

What you’ll give: Some days are ridiculously easy. Some days are so hard that every muscle in your body will ache. Most days are somewhere in between. You’ll average about 8 hours a day, including some weekends. Many nights you’ll go to bed exhausted, but it will be that good kind of exhausted, when you know you’ve done a hard day’s work and kicked some ass.

What you’ll need: Experience isn’t necessary. Just a strong work ethic, a desire to learn and a healthy curiosity. You’ll also need a good pair of boots, rain gear and warm clothes for winter, sunscreen and a hat for summer. A good pair of work gloves is highly recommended. A car in not a necessity but would make your life a lot easier when  you want to get off the farm.

If you’d like to apply, please send a resume and cover letter to susie AT fiberfarm DOT com with Apprentice in the subject line. All applications will be carefully considered and telephone interviews scheduled with likely candidates. Please pass this post along to anyone you think might be interested.

1 Erin August 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm

You forgot to mention that the apprentice also gets the love and support of the incredible Aunties and the rest of the farm family…I can’t tell you how valuable that bonus has been (and still is!) to me.

2 Suzy August 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I’m so jealous of who ever gets this position…so incredibly jealous…if I could do it I would!!

3 Fran August 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

ditto Suzy’s comments. Maybe in about 5 years, when I retire. Hey, I can hope that you will be desperate enough, ‘eh???? I hope this doesn’t mean Maggie’s leaving… Good luck, those are some big shoes to fill!!

4 Megan August 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Oh, what an opportunity! I envy the person who gets this job – the farm really is just magical.

5 Amy Karasz August 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm

If I didn’t have kids……….

6 Diane Tetreault August 18, 2010 at 5:50 pm

When does the the apprentice position begin… January?

7 Kathryn | Alpacamundo August 18, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I know someone who would be perfect for this. Sending her a note now.

8 Champagne Maker August 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm

uhhhhhh, what I wouldn’t give…..

9 Judy(lamazeteacher) August 18, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I, along with all the above message writers, wish that I could apply for the job. I loved being at the farm in April and meeting you, Susie. You are at the top of my list when I think of awesome women! Oh, if only I were younger and fancy free.

10 Susan aka reddirt August 18, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Oh good heavens! If only…. Someone is going to have the time of their life!

11 yarnpiggy August 19, 2010 at 1:28 am

I would LOVE to do this…alas, I suspect non-U.S. residents would be ineligible?

12 Susan August 19, 2010 at 7:48 am

I don’t think it would be a problem since it isn’t a paid position.

13 Margaret (Erin's aunt) August 19, 2010 at 7:05 am

Susan–Is there any way I could get a copy of this picture? I would love this in my grouping of nieces and nephews–This is just a great one of Erin (my only Murphy niece)!

14 chris August 19, 2010 at 7:20 am

SO wish I could even think about applying . . . unfortunately I think my husb and cat and house and job would protest a bit! :)

15 Jenny August 19, 2010 at 9:30 am

Good luck in finding a good apprentice! I’d guess that a strong back is necessary. Even if I was single and not pregnant, I’d be intimidated by what you guys do just because of my stupid back problems. Though, actually, Erin has back problems and she did fine, but then again, she’s superwoman anyway, so. :)

16 Diane August 19, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh my goodness, this would be a dream come true for me! I hope someone wonderful gets it. I’d do it in a heartbeat!

17 Jan August 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Susan, you might want to advertise at the ag departments of your regional land grant universities. There are students,both in sustainable ag and pre-vet, who can really benefit by taking 6 months or a year off from their studies to get some practical experience. Some can even arrange to get college credit.

18 sandy August 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Oh, how I wish I were young enough to be your apprentice!

19 Amie August 20, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Oh how i wish I could apply. Alas my three children and hubby may just miss me. All the best finding the lucky candidate.

20 Christina August 22, 2010 at 10:53 am

Deep long sigh……This would be a dream come true. If only you were still in New York.

21 knittingfool aka lori August 24, 2010 at 12:50 am

….sigh…

22 Wedje August 28, 2010 at 10:07 am

i would do this in a heartbeat if i were not married and had an 8-yr-old boy. i know he would love to work there too but…sigh. the husband wouldn’t mind being left alone with the occasional visit since we’ve been doing something close to that for 4 years now. how i wish – it sounds like the best experience possible and something new every day and i would get to be with animals. i love the personalities. we have 30 chickens and bees right now and each chicken has a definite individual personality – they even have different voices. i say that if i had 2 weeks living with chickens, i could speak it fluently. i quit my corporate job in 2004 and worked on a 10 acre vegetable and chicken CSA for a year and then in the dairy next door making organic yoghurt. it was amazing and difficult to do with a 2 year old but the gardeners were amazing, had kids of their own, and so my son got to roam around semi-naked while i worked. may you find someone wonderful.