Shearing Day? WIN!

by Susan on May 10, 2009

The Shearing Day Celebration was a huge success, thanks in large part to all the wonderful people who attended. I have always believed that the best way to throw a party is to put out good food, good drinks and invite a good group of people; the rest will take care of itself.

crowd

Believe it our not, I didn’t take many pictures. I was running around- making sure people felt welcome, checking to be sure we had enough forks, and generally squealing like a teen-ager at an Elvis concert whenever a shareholder introduced themselves to me. Erin, Patrick, Heidi, Jeff, Zoe and our new volunteer apprentice Owen deserve all the credit for keeping things moving and fun.

We were also blessed by our demonstrators. Kathleen and her husband John (who should be nominated for sainthood for coming up with a solution to our treacherous bridge problem) came to the party in authentic Revolutionary War costume and set up a campsite like the soldiers would have slept in. Kathleen gave spinning demos all the live long day. It was just lovely and I can’t believe I didn’t get a photo of them in their gear.

Hans and Philip, two local clergymen, spinners and weavers, also demoed the day away, creating a stunning scarf from our Kid Mohair/Cormo blend yarn in the Holly Berry colorway and fleece straight off Miss Linda. The pattern is just gorgeous- I’ll take a picture tomorrow. I’m thinking of auctioning it off on ebay as a fundraiser for our non-profit initiative IF I can bring myself to part with it.

The John Jay High School Sax Ensemble played a 45 minute set during lunch and they were fantastic. I admit I was a little skeptical when Harry asked if they could play but boy am I glad they did. Everyone loved them. Harrison’s own band played for the rest of the day and they were warmly received as well.

It was such a lovely thing to look around our farm and see children wading in the creek, families crashed out on picnic blankets and Heidi’s husband Sean dozing in the sun in an Adirondack chair. Everyone was so respectful of the property and we didn’t find one stray piece of trash anywhere. (Y’all’s mamas did a great job raising you. I hope you called and thanked her today.)

All in all, it was a great day and will be something we do again and again. Thank you for being a part of it.

1 Jennifer May 10, 2009 at 7:45 pm

It was an amazing day. I still can’t believe this wonderful event was just a part of my weekend. It seemed like an entire vacation all packed into a single day. Thanks for your gracious hospitality.

2 auntygabby May 10, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Wow! The day sounds incredible. I hope to be in your neck of the woods one day to enjoy it.

3 pd May 10, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Tell Harry we loved the Mario brothers theme!

4 --Deb May 10, 2009 at 8:48 pm

It was a FABULOUS day. I know I wouldn’t have missed it! (You saw my pictures, right?)

5 Lauria May 10, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Next time.

6 turtle May 10, 2009 at 9:44 pm

glad everyone enjoyed it! unfortunately we were unable to attend…maybe someday! Told my mom to head over for fun but alas, not this year! thanks for the freshly shaved sheepy pics!

7 Cindy T. May 10, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Susie – your place looks like heaven.

8 Erin in Albany May 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Thank you for hosting the shearing festival! My friends and I had a wonderful time. We met so many great people and had so much fun seeing the sheep and goats. You throw a great party!! ;)

9 Joan B May 11, 2009 at 5:40 am

Absolutely a fantasticalgorgeousfunhappy day. We love you all.

10 Kathleen Papcke May 11, 2009 at 5:43 am

I feel very sorry I couldn’t be there. But Wisconsin is alittle far. Maybe some day.

11 deb May 11, 2009 at 3:20 pm

thanx so much for having everyone. it was such a wonderful experience. my niece thought it was sooo cool, and u know at that age (12-13) not much is cool anymore!
we learned so much from philip, i think i am wanting a weaving loom now! oy, where will i fit another piece of equipment!?
it was wonderful meeting u and your large, extended wonderful family and hope to see you all again very soon!
deb ;>

12 Parisa May 11, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Thank you for letting us visit. It was really great to meet you and Erin. I couldn’t believe myself but I was introducing the different nannies and babies to my nieces, as if I knew them. Zoe was so helpful and patient with our many questions and helping my nieces hold Linda’s little kids for a few minutes. They were just overjoyed. Thanks again.

13 Phil Nicholson May 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Thank you, Deb, for your kind coments. Responses like that make it all worthwhile for us to do these demonstrations! It was a great day, and we’re looking forward to coming back in the future.

One minor corrrection to Susan’s article. Hans and I are not clergymen — just dedicated, involved laymen at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Pawling. You can see some of our work at our website — http://www.holytrinityweavers.org.

See you all next time! … Hans & Phil