Well that was anticlimactic!

by Susan on March 26, 2009

dsc_00532

dsc_0046

Like many of you, Erin and I spent the whole day waiting for Linda to have her babies. This morning it looked like babies were imminent but as of 9:15 p.m. EST, we are still waiting.

Waiting is what lambing and kidding season are all about. Hours of waiting and then a flurry of activity. Tonight I will be checking on Linda at 11 p.m., the Erin will get up at 1 a.m. to check, then me at 3 and Erin at 5.

At this point we’d really rather her hold on till morning. The weather is cold and rainy, and newborn Angora goat kids chill so very quickly. Our job is to rub the babies briskly with towels to dry them and then stick around until we’re sure they are nursing from their mamas. Linda is a very good mother- if it wasn’t for the cold weather she wouldn’t need us at all!

I want to remind ya’ll that Linda is very old for a nanny goat. When we made the decision to breed her this year, we weren’t sure she would even live to see spring. She’s healthy enough but moves very slowly these days. We only bred her because we knew from experience that she would become severely depressed if all the other mamas had kids and she didn’t.

I’m telling ya’ll this because I don’t want it to come as a total shock if we lose Linda. I don’t think that’s going to happen; there is absolutely no indication that she is anything but healthy. But I just want you all to be prepared if the worst does happen. I always think it’s better to have all the information, you know?

Lambing and kidding is the most miraculous thing I have ever experienced. Every year I am so grateful that I get to be there when these animals come into the world. If some sadness goes along with the experience, then I can live with that.

I’ll update you as soon as we have news.

1 Julie March 26, 2009 at 8:37 pm

My daughter and I have been watching this throught the day – what fun!

2 Heather March 26, 2009 at 9:13 pm

You all and Miss Linda are lucky to have each other! I hope she experiences another wonderful year with the new young ‘uns.

3 Louise Edsall March 26, 2009 at 9:13 pm

this is wonderful.. I will be watching!

4 Vickie March 26, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I feel like an expectant grandmother. I have been watching since I got home from work. I am so glad that you posted an update. Here I sit watching Private Practice and trying to keep an eye on Linda. Who other than animal lovers and fiber folks would show such dedication?? lol!

5 Manise March 26, 2009 at 9:55 pm

I’m up watching. Miss Linda has had 2 angora midwives in attendance for quite a while. I see occasional movement in the yurt.

6 Susan in HK March 26, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Question: How “old” is old? How long do these goats normally live if cared for with love and devotion? I love Linda’s face!

7 Susan March 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Hey Susan! Linda is 14 or 15- I can’t actually remember and I keep forgetting to check her registration papers. When we got her she was 10 and we were buying other nannies. The breeders threw Linda in for free because they didn’t think she’d live very long. It’s really rare for sheep and goats to live this long in the US because most shepherds send them to the slaughter house at 7 or 8 to make room for the younger replacement ewes. 15 or 16 is the natural life expectancy.

8 mydogpetey March 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Can you whisper in her ear we are all out her cheering her on?

9 fiberfan March 26, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Has she lost her horns? Or was she dehorned when you got her? I hope she makes it. I have one that I have had for 12 years. They have the same look. My goat’s name is Nod. Nod and Linda could tell some tales I betcha.

10 Susan March 27, 2009 at 8:11 am

fiberfan, she has horns but they are really close to her head. So close that they make a really bad handle when your trying to move her around.

11 Rona Thau March 26, 2009 at 11:49 pm

this is the first i have tuned in today
i am sending u and miss linda prayers for a safe delivery and for all to go smoothly…
as smoothly as birth can go.
how exciting
thanks for the disclosure, susan.
i agree with you it’s good to know all the facts so there are no surprises.
beaming lotsa love to u all and all the mama’s and everyone
xo
rona

12 Cindy T. March 27, 2009 at 12:13 am

It really is a double edged sword – joy and the risk of sorrow. But as you say, worth every minute. Best to our Linda, for happy, healthy kids. And blissful sleep for her shepherdesses.

13 Leslie from California March 27, 2009 at 1:21 am

Susie, those are some beautiful shots of your lovely Linda. I love how you take into consideration each one of your darling mamas feelings. I am sure that she would have been heart broken if she did not have some babies of her own. Thank you for being such wonderful stewards of your four legged charges…

14 Mary Beth March 27, 2009 at 4:10 am

I’ve been watching on and off all the Japanese day (NY night) and saw you checking at 3:00 a.m. It is 500 your time now, so I’ll keep checking in. Warm dry thoughts headed your way.

15 Judy in NH March 27, 2009 at 7:30 am

Sending good thoughts for you all and Linda!:) May she see another Spring as a happy healthy mom!

16 Julie March 27, 2009 at 7:43 am

Hang in there Linda!
You are such a cute Momma!!

17 Jenny March 27, 2009 at 8:02 am

I keep thinking about Miss Linda and checking in. I can’t yet figure out the lambcam but I’m going to hunker down this weekend and try to make it work. I can’t wait for her babies and I’m really hoping she’ll pull through to be a mama for another season. Poor Miss Linda, toothless old goat… :) You guys are doing a great job, I love ya.

18 Susan March 27, 2009 at 8:10 am

We miss you Jenny! Why don’t you come down for a weekend? And I hope you and Ken are coming on May 9th for shearing.

19 turtle March 27, 2009 at 10:18 am

fingers crossed for linda!

20 Melissa March 27, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I hope Ms. Linda gets to experience the joy of being a mother for another year. Can’t wait to see how things go!

21 Jan March 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Miss Linda. I wanted to ask about the shelters I saw in your goat pen on the Lambcam. They look very useful and also portable. How many goats can fit in one at a time? Where did you get them?

22 Judi April 1, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Exactly how old IS Miss Linda, please? Just wondering what was “old” for a nanny goat.

23 Judi April 1, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Ooops, sorry! I just saw the answer to my question already answered. That’s what happens when you don’t read ALL of the other comments first.

24 Cori October 28, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Just found your site/blog – Everything looks very exciting, and I’m keeping Linda in my thoughts!!