Probably something you would like…

by Susan on February 27, 2009

I have decided to make my occasional “Stuff I Like” posts into a regular Friday meme (although I’m not terribly comfortable using the word yet). In addition to the quirky and wonderful things I’ve found, you can post and share your own links. Anything is fair game: an interesting article you read, a cute pair of shoes, the kick-ass crafting tutorial that made you drop what you were doing to start a new project, pictures of cute babies, recipes, whatever. These posts will be the place for anything you want to share.

Here are mine for this week:

Hilarious Huffington Post article about the joys of making fun of Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop. (thanks to writingroads for pointing this out.)

A remake of the movie Clue? WHYWHYWHYWHWYWHY?!? The 1985 original is damn near perfect with great writing, an all-star cast and three alternate whodunnit endings. You’re getting on my last nerve, Hollywood.

Bakespace is a sort of ravelry for cooks, but without all the bells and whistles that master coder Casey has been spoiling us with.

This short, stop-action film is breathtakingly beautiful. (Chappy’s Mom get’s the assist on this one.)

NYC is instituting a tax on disposable bags. Mayor Bloomberg, I think I love you.

I am coveting Not Martha’s  Duracell Powerpack 600.

K-Fed is tired of spending $200 on True Religion jeans for his toddlers. I don’t even know what to say about this. Wow. Just wow.

The Stone Soup Challenge is a great way to support struggling artist during these troubled times. Wanna do it with me? I’m in if you are.

The days of spending 20 minutes waiting for pasta water to boil are over! According to Harold McGee, you can use a whole lot less water, thereby speeding up your cooking time AND saving water and energy, without compromising the flavor of your pasta. Worth a try, I think.

Seen something you think I’d like this week? Link it up in the comments. (FYI- comments containing more than one link are moderated, so don’t worry if yours doesn’t show up lickety-split.)

P.S. If you want to enter this weekend’s fab giveaway leave a comment on the post below.

1 katelynjane February 27, 2009 at 11:14 am

I dunno, I think that Gwyneth Paltrow isn’t as bad as she’s made out to be. She talks like she’s aloof, but I haven’t ever thought she was a snob. That said, I don’t like her website. I just find it boring!

I LOVE the Stone Soup idea! It’s so hard to think that spending money will help the trouble we’re in, but it will. I’ll be blogging about that this afternoon.

Great blog!

2 Susan February 27, 2009 at 11:19 am

I know what you mean, KatelynJane. Like everyone else, money is tight for us right now, but we have also been incredibly lucky in the past year and I want to pass that along.

3 Sligo February 27, 2009 at 11:20 am

“meme–[alter. of Mimeme, fr. mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme) (1976): an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture” (Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate, 11th ed.)

I had to look this up, because it has been on my mind too, and in my work (as an editor). I think the very young term may have migrated from psychology into popular culture, where it is undergoing an identity transformation, which is always a strange leap, and so very American. The medium is the message.

4 britt February 27, 2009 at 11:26 am

Not a remake of clue! that would be wrong on so many levels

5 Susan February 27, 2009 at 11:29 am

THANK YOU, Britt! I am just out of my head about it.

6 Pegi February 27, 2009 at 11:30 am

Apropos Conversation shoes! I love them! They’re handmade in Lawrence, MA. Their company was featured on Boston’s Chronicle ews show, in a segment about locally made goods (January 8, 2009). I ordered a pair, and they are fabulous. Well made, sooo comfortable they feel like bedroom slippers, and they look terrific. I get compliments whenever I wear them. Their website is http://www.conversationshoes.com/ourshoes.html and the list of companies covered in the segment is here: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/chronicle/18390386/detail.html
I love to support locally-made stuff!
Oh, and the Gwyneth Paltrow thing? If Tom Brady’s wedding and the president’s new dog can make the news, surely, Gwyneth can write a little blog about stuff that interests her? We do live in an information-saturated age; it’s not surprising that she would creat what everyone else is creating, me included. There’s a certain amount of hubris involved in creating any blog, I think. Certainly, what I post is only of interest to an extremely small portion of the world! So, I say, let the woman write what she wants. Whatever. Those who don’t like it don’t have to read it.

7 Emily February 27, 2009 at 11:51 am

Thanks for the link to the GOOP article, it was a fun read. I can’t bring myself to actually read GOOP though, and certainly wouldn’t want it clogging up my inbox!

8 Dragan February 27, 2009 at 11:54 am

In the theme of “like ravelry but for…” I present: http://www.culinate.com/home like ravelry but for food. I think it’s relatively new as well, so it’s not entirely filled out/bells and whistles-y, but I think it’s got great potential.

9 Beth P. February 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm

My first visit to your blog and website!! It would be very cool to win!

Beth P.

10 Lisa Stockebrand (aka. lasdcm) February 27, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Clue – bad
Stone soup – good

I have to sit on my hands to keep from clicking on “add to my cart” – flying monkey stitch holders
Check out her stitch holders too……

11 Lisa Stockebrand (aka. lasdcm) February 27, 2009 at 4:36 pm

sorry – flying monkey MARKERS …..it is that time of day! LOL

12 --Deb February 27, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Sometimes I think I’m the only person who actually likes Gwyneth Paltrow–but agree with Katelynjane that the website is boring.

How funny–I saw that article about pasta but didn’t realize it was Harold McGee, and I love his science-of-food writing!

Thanks again for the shout-out. Twitter is a FABULOUS place to find interesting links to stuff!

13 Elysa February 27, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I so agree with you about the fact there is absolutely no reason to remake Clue!!

14 Virginia February 27, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I just came across this:
I’m afraid to look too much, it might be almost as addictive as knitting!

15 aunty gabby February 27, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I had the same feeling about goop. I have sort of a love/hate thing about GP. I used to think she was vapid, then I decided I liked her voice (that makes her no less vapid) and her style (opposite of everything I am). She is, however, clueless … back to vapid. On her Spain show with Mario Batalli she was talking about her Manolo’s and making soem oddball comparison. He laughed and suggested that most people wouldn’t be in the same situation (read: GP you are clueless about the finances of most of the world).
That said, I’m using the post-pregnancy video she recommended and am pretty happy with it.
So. My pick of the week isn’t from this last week but it’s worth seeing because it’s so … http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/01/26/video-timelapse-baby.html

16 aunty gabby February 27, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Ummm. And also not this week but I was looking for the squirmy video and found this: http://www.boingboing.net/2008/08/19/katamari-damacy-king.html

Whoa.

17 Jenny February 28, 2009 at 9:56 am

A REMAKE OF CLUE?!?!? That is the DEVIL!!!!

WHY would you mess with perfection like that?? It’s probably gonna star Miley Cyrus and that guy who thinks he’s a vampire. EUGH!

18 Jenny February 28, 2009 at 9:59 am

Oh, actually, one more thing. I was inspired last night by LittleGreyCat to try my hand at spinning up a skein or two of the awesome textured yarn that she spins for you, instead of the usual sock yarn that I love to do. What I discovered is that for the first time, I HAVE ACHIEVED A CONSISTENT BULKY SINGLE!!!! kind of.

19 Kat March 1, 2009 at 12:39 am

I don’t really have anything to add in terms of the “stuff I like” discussion (except that I agree that Clue does not need a remake). But I got engaged today!! I am so incredibly excited. I have an absolutely gorgeous ring on my finger. Life is good.

20 Susanne C. March 1, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I just had to share this with fellow knitters. I saw this post on Ravelry and this little girl did not know what hit her when you began a project for school. Please read her blog about how she used her mom’s Raverly account to reach out to knitters to make blankets for children. She is an amazing 12 year old.